Control of fishing activities
The APR Standard provides a number of controls needed for tuna vessels to operate. These controls should include
- Licenses and authorisations from flag states to fish.
- Fishing licenses in third countries.
- Control of activities by national authorities in three areas:
- Registration of fishing activity in a logbook, including Electronic Diaries
- Satellite control through a system of automatic transmission of geographic location approved by national authorities. (Vessel Monitoring System, VMS)
- Control Centre that accredits VMS that operates 365 days a year and 24 hours a day