Lemuel Plummer is a , Shervin Mirhashemi Net Worth and Business journey: He is the CEO of the Legends Board of Directors. After leaving Google for the second time in October 2015, Kordestani is now Twitter's executive chairman. Trinkle won the National Spelling Bee in 1973 with the word vouchesafe and has served on the Bee's Word Panel since 1996, the same year she joined Amazon. I had been working in computers since the mid-70s and had sort of seen the first wave of the PC revolution come, and I didnt jump on that. He has stated that he has not kept in touch with Jeff Bezos, but that he would like to ask Bezos if he still believes in less government regulation. Shel Kaphan came from Santa Cruz in a U-Haul before the company was called Amazon. Kaphan says he still owns some Amazon shares; he wouldn't specify how many. Amazon. I mean, nobody at the beginning had any clue how big Amazon could become, recalls Kaphan, now 58. He has American Nationality. Now Meta and Twitter want your money, too. He has no social media accounts. ", Most recent Amazon title: Editor in chief. Kaphan left Amazon in 1999, accumulating an enormous amount of wealth due to his stock options with the company. You'll receive access to exclusive information and early alerts about our documentaries and investigations. In the early days, Nelson used to be in charge of churning out book reviews for Amazon.com. You can't do a job like that on caffeine. Meet Amazon.com's first employee: Shel Kaphan. I didnt get founders stock. Kaphan spoke to FRONTLINE for the upcoming documentary Amazon Empire: The Rise and Reign of Jeff Bezos, which airs Feb. 18. Share 28 Tweet Share Reddit Email. Most recent Amazon title: Operations/Business development/Software development. I mean, nobody knew how to write Web sites at that point in time. In that year Roberts left the young company and then went on to be employee #8 at wearable tech company Fitbit in 2010. That was, in my opinion, a super important connection for us. we hope you like our effort So, before going, please rate this content and share it with your friend and family who loves to read about their favorite actors, musicians, and model. [4]. He was born on Sep 12, 1952. Eric Knapp is retired and living in Oregon. I had been playing around with the Internet since it was the ARPANET, back in the early 70s. I got there in October of 1994, and a month later we hired the second technical guy from the UW, Paul Davis was his name. In 2022, she has also served with magazines including Harper's Bazaar, Vogue, W, and Elle. In 2013, Stubbletine also launched a publicationcalled Better Humans, offering self-improvement advice, followed bysister projects Better Programming and Better Marketing in 2019. In 2012, he donated $2.5 million to defend gay marriage in Washington. Next up is Randy Wigginton, Apple employee #6. All Rights Reserved. Rainier because this is probably one of the last days of the year that we are going to be able to do that. We were all new to the area, so we just got in the car and drove to Paradise, and hiked around a little bit, and blew that day off from working. The first non-founder executive to join the team, Roberts helped Fitbit to grow into a company fit for its IPO in 2015 , and now works as an adviser to a number of digital health and fitness companies. Davis told Recode in December that Amazons role as both a retailer and the operator of a retail marketplace on which other merchants sell goods and Amazons access to their data that can be used to compete against them is unfair. When Jeff Bezos and his wife, MacKenzie, started driving northwest from Texas toward Seattle in 1994, they were setting off on a journey to create one of the biggest ecommerce sites in the world. Elizabeth poett is a famous rancher of the 7th generation. Break it up: Not the ringing endorsement one wants from the man known as the company's first employee, but Shel Kaphan said he doesn't see the Amazon effects as entirely positive. She was Amazon's receptionist. And the specifics of her parents' occupation are still a mystery. We accept credit card, Apple Pay, and Web Site Copyright 1995-2023 WGBH Educational Foundation. What she's doing now: Allen retired after Amazon, and she's now a writer living on the East Coast. Most recent Amazon title: Technical program manager. Like the other ex-Twitter employees in this round-up, Stubblebine joined Twitter in its very early days and then moved on before the network really hit its peak. A lot of time went by before I had that feeling again., What about the Web caught your attention? Former Tow Journalism Fellow, FRONTLINE/Columbia Journalism Fellowship, Amazon Empire: The Rise and Reign of Jeff Bezos, Jeff Bezos to Step Down as Amazon CEO; Andy Jassy Moves Up, Watch 2020s 10 Most-Streamed FRONTLINE Documentaries, Watch FRONTLINEs 5 Most-Streamed Documentaries of 2020 (So Far), From the Archives: How the World's Deadliest Ebola Outbreak Unfolded, Russias Invasion of Ukraine, One Year Later, War Crimes Watch Ukraine: More Than 650 Documented Events, From the Archives: How the U.N. & World Failed Darfur Amid "the 21st Century's First Genocide". Jon and Jo Ann Hagler on behalf of the Jon L. Hagler Foundation. Fresh from a stellar four-year stint at web company Netscape, Omid Kordestani was snapped up by Google in May 1999 to work in sales and business development. Amazon's first employee, Shel Kaphan, sheds new light on the mid-1990s origins of the giant online retailer. But if were everywhere, that means were talking about the global economy, not just global retail. When asked for comment on Kaphans remarks, Amazon spokesperson Jack Evans sent a statement: Amazons retail business competes in the worldwide market for retail sales and our competitors include all other online and brick-and-mortar stores that people shop at every day. What he's doing now: McDonald now works as a high school teacher in Oregon. When Northrop joined Amazon way back in 1995, employees were allowed to put whatever they wanted on their business cards, so he chose Shaman. He decided to leave after Bezos hired two new tech managers and named him CTO, essentially taking him off the front lines and curtailing his ability to make any real change within the company. Although he only stayed with Amazon for less than two years, he was absolutely critical to the development of the site, helping to create the entire backend. Shel Kaphan is Amazon's first ever employee. Wigginton went on to create numerous Mac applications including Full Impact and MacWrite. He also addressed concerns around specific technologies and tools used by Amazon, including its proprietary doorbell camera system, Ring. In his own words: "I left, despite significant stock and other inducements to remain, because I am a technical person and had little interest in playing a role in the growth of the company. 'Wizard' was way too old school, 'Jedi' wasn't yet in vogue, he jokes on LinkedIn. But if you take it too far, you reach like a breaking point where were going to see things potentially get uglier. After rising through different roles at the company over the course of eight years, including chief software architect and director of technology, Pujante moved onto his true passion: electronic music. Some early Amazon employees have since become entrepreneurs. What he's doing now: Director of research and development at nonprofit Earth Economics. The founding of Facebook has produced a fair few billionaires over the years, and the social networks earliest employees have gone on to have enviable careers even after leaving the company. We have used algorithms like his income and assets to calculate his net worth. He also did "stealth online promotion" and vendor negotiation. Taner Halicioglu was Facebook's first 'real' employee, leaving an engineering role at eBay to join the business in 2004. Stephen Beitzel worked as a software developer at numerous small tech companies and spent almost three years at Apple before joining the team at LinkedIn. Kaphan is the President of the foundation and it bestowed Families Against Mandatory Minimums with $50k and The Innocence Project, with $100K. Most recent Amazon title: Technical program manager. Most recent Amazon title: Operations/Business development/Software development. It funds several types of left-of-center institutes and causes such as Groups seeking to overturn theCitizens UnitedSupreme Court decision and abolish the Electoral College, Planned Parenthood, and various environmentalist organizations. He left the foundation when Bezos appointed two CTO, essentially lifting him off the forefront and both are not in contact. Jewels Maben Age Do you wish to know about Jewels Maben age? It didnt seem worth the argument at the time, although I kind of felt like, well, you know, I mean I was there at the beginning. You cant just ask one player to change the way that they act.. While at Amazon, Kochmer helped develop the browse system for books and worked within the teams that developed the company-wide data infrastructures. So, we just started shaking our networks, and talking to people.. He joined Apple in 1976 when he was a 14-year-old high school student, working part-time at first writing BASIC programmes. "It took him all summer to convince me," Kaphan tells The Macro in a series of interviews with early employees. Shel Kaphan is known for Frontline (1983) and Panorama (1953). FRONTLINE is a registered trademark of WGBH Educational Foundation. At the current time Parker, who was fired from his role as Facebook president in 2006 due to a drug-related incident, is the founder and chairman of online campaigning platform Causes and video chat app Airtime, as well as a Spotify board member. She and Jeff Bezos divorced in 2019. A consistent increase . However, Graves remainedon the board of directors until May last year, when the company went public for the first time and had the largest IPO of2019. His current position is director and engineer at finance company Square. He and Susan, his wife, would always bring their dog Rufus to work with them because of the long hours. Davis was Amazon's fourth employee, joining before the company launched its website and working with Shel Kaphan to make Bezos' dreams a reality. He shared this fun anecdote via email in 2017: "During Christmas 1995, the site really took off. She is a well-known entrepreneur and Tv personality. Working as a developer, he pretty much created the early site's infrastructure. Others went on to other major companies. While at Amazon, Kochmer helped develop the browse system for books and worked within the teams that developed the company-wide data infrastructures. Beitzel worked at the professional networking site for almost two years and then left while it was still in its early days. In an interview for a new PBS Frontline documentary about Amazon viewed by Recode . Microsoft's first technical writer Andrea Lewis, pictured in 1978 and more recently, started at the company in 1977 and was the only staff member hailing from Albuquerque, where the firm's first headquarters was located. Her ethnicity, however, is white, and she is an American citizen. While at Amazon, Kochmer helped develop the browse system for books and worked within the teams that developed the company-wide data infrastructures. Jeff Bezos is the CEO of Amazon since it was founded. According to his LinkedIn, Hanlon managed real estate operations and administrated UNIX and telecom systems from 1995 to 1997. Shel Kaphan was hesitant to join Jeff Bezos as Amazon's first employee in 1994. He is an Employee at Amazon from 1944-1999. The Kaphan Foundation was founded in 2005 by Sheldon Kaphan, Amazons first employee. Shel Kaphan is his nickname. Halicioglu worked at the social media giant until 2009. Brad Stone's book "The Everything Store," plus a 2017 conversation with early employees Tom Schonhoff and Mike Hanlon, helped us figure out the names of some of Amazon's first critical employees. I have spreadsheets of his projections from when he was trying to hire me. And I wish it wasnt so, but I had something to do with bringing it into existence; its partly on me., Asked if he favors a breakup of the company, which has been advocated by Sen. Elizabeth Warren and some anti-monopoly activists, Kaphan said, I think theyre now at the scale where that could potentially make sense.. When asked about the mentality that Bezos brought to Amazon from Wall Street, Kaphan said: Its basically cold-blooded. Founder Jeff Bezos' now ex-wife MacKenzie was Amazon's first accountant and also helped out with hiring staff in the company's early days. After graduating from MIT, she spent more than a decade at NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab before joining Amazon. To most it would seem obvious, but Bezos, who had suggested buying knee-pads to make packing on the ground easier, praised him for years for the completely brilliant idea. I left, despite significant stock and other inducements to remain, because I am a technical person and had little interest in playing a role in the growth of the company. And why it wasnt stopped sooner. "because the name started with an A, it was above the fold so lots of people saw it," Kaphan said in. When the pair first met in 1994, he said, something clicked into place., He came out to Santa Cruz and we all met at my house and went out to get pancakes for breakfast at one of the local places and drove around, he recounted. What he's doing now: Principal TPM Middle Mile at Amazon. Jeff Bezos once called him the most important person ever in the history of Amazon.com., Now, Amazons very first employee, Shel Kaphan, says a breakup of Amazon could potentially make sense.. The foundation had $4,405,381 in expenses, of which $4.4 million were disbursed as contributions and grants. Most recent Amazon title: Software engineer. Once he arrived, he made the suggestion to put packing tables in Amazon's warehouse. Everyone was working long hours, and my girlfriend (now wife) Molly would come hang out in the warehouse in the evenings to help us pack up shipments. Tod Nelson now mentors student entrepreneurs. Now, Amazon's very first employee, Shel Kaphan, says a breakup of Amazon "could potentially make sense.". The real name of the popular entrepreneur is Sheldon Kaphan. When he left his job at the University of Washington, his coworkers passed around a coffee can to collect a few dollars for him in case the risky venture failed. One of the many things Benson worked on was the site's "Similarities" system, which recommended books based on what users had already read. One of the many things Benson worked on was the site's "Similarities" system, which recommended books based on what users had already read. Most recent Amazon title: Editor, music and video. He says hes proud of the company and the services it provides, and also casts new light on Amazons earliest days and its founder Jeff Bezos now the planets richest person. And it just didnt seem like something that I wanted to make a big deal about at the time., What were those early days like at the first Amazon headquarters in the converted garage in the Bellevue house? There wasnt a lot of extraneous activity., Nothing unusual from those early days? The foundation had $4,405,381 in expenses, of which $4.4 million were disbursed as contributions and grants. And I dont want to see that.. It's not clear what Sears is currently up to. According to Forbes, , Elizabeth Poett Net Worth 2022| Age, Hat, Parents, and The Ranch Table, Shel Kaphan Net Worth 2022|Age, Height, Amazon, and Foundation, Eric Varvel Net Worth 2022| Age, Professsion, and Wife, Lemuel Plummer Net Worth 2022|Age, Profession, and Wife, Shervin Mirhashemi Net Worth 2022| Age, Salary, career, wife, and kids, John Delony Net Worth 2022| Age, Podcast, Wikipedia, and Wife, Billy Carson Net Worth 2022| Age, Wiki, and Wife, Alfred Nickson Net Worth 2022| Age, Company, and Wife, Dolf De Roos Net Worth 2022| Age, Bio, Books, and Real Estate book, Anthony Casa Net Worth 2022| Age, Wikipedia, UMortgage, and Wife, Anthony Mangun Net Worth 2022: Age, Church, Wife, and Sermons, Emjay Johnson Net Worth 2022| Age, Height, Nude, and Girlfriend, Lily Aerin Savage Biography 2022| Age, Parents, and Siblings. Shel Kaphan net worth is in the millions and the fact that he is related to Amazons history, lots of eyes are on him. Cook, John. Mike Hanlon brought his girlfriend to the warehouse and Bezos made her sign an NDA. In 1977, two years after launching Microsoft, Bill Gates hired his former Harvard classmate Bob Greenberg to work as a BASIC programmer. Times Internet Limited. During Christmas 1995, the site really took off. The FBI and Energy Department think Covid-19 came from a lab. Here's where Amazon's first 21 employees are now, https://www.businessinsider.in/heres-where-amazons-first-21-employees-are-now/jeff-bezos-has-been-the-ceo-of-amazon-since-the-very-beginning-/slidelist/59041177.cms, Bezos is now one of the most powerful figures in tech, with. PBS is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. Shel Kaphan is Amazons first ever employee. November 2012 The way to get startup ideas is not to try to think of startup ideas. [6], The Foundation made several grants to environmentalist causes, including $25,000 to Earth Economics, $25,000 to National Parks Conservation, $25,000 to the Rainforest Alliance, $25,000 to the Sugar Pine Foundation, and $100,000 in general support to the controversial National Resources Defense Council. It might have happened without the personal connection, but who knows, maybe not. He left the company in 1998 to go backpacking around the world with his girlfriend, but rejoined Amazon in September 2016 to help build Amazon Transportation Services. He became the wealthiest person and he also gave funds to the organizations from his wealth. Net worth is the amount by which assets exceed liabilities. And Paul and I were writing code furiously, and Jeff was working on the business plan and going off to (American Booksellers Association) meetings and things like that. Eric Varvel is the CEO and President of All rights reserved.For reprint rights. After working at Apple in a variety of positions from 1977 to 1993, the IT professional held senior interface architect positions at database company Ingres, Documentum and Omnibiotics, and is now user experience architect at the eponymous design firm he founded in 1998. He was born on Sep 12, 1952, in the USA. But it also scares me., I think not all of the effects of the company on the world are the best, he added. He also worked as operations manager and eventually helped launch Amazon's German site. Shaw, and was a high school math teacher in Seattle before moving to Amazon. Emjay Johnson Net Worth 2022| Age, Height, Nude, and Girlfriend, Elizabeth Poett Net Worth 2022| Age, Hat, Parents, and The Ranch Table, Anthony Mangun Net Worth 2022: Age, Church, Wife, and Sermons, Shel Kaphan Net Worth 2022|Age, Height, Amazon, and Foundation, Lily Aerin Savage Biography 2022| Age, Parents, and Siblings. Most recent Amazon title: Editor, books division. Documenting evidence of potential war crimes in Ukraine. The former Mrs Bezos is currently worth $36 billion (28.8bn), having agreed a record-breaking divorce settlement last year, making her the fourth richest woman in theworld, according to Forbes. Laurel Canan eventually married another early employee, Sara Jinks. All that existed of Amazon was on paper at that point. katherine noelle wyman; cape breton post obituaries 2022. location symbol text in word; list of female jockeys australia; mike conley house columbus ohio address Karim Gharbi net worth is an estimated rate of $6.8 million. He is now the owner of The Kaphan Foundation. "That was, in my opinion, a super important connection for us. Funding for FRONTLINE is provided through the support of PBS viewers and by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. Most recent Amazon title: Information architect. After graduating from MIT, she spent more than a decade at NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab before joining Amazon. Soft-spoken and reserved, Kaphan is one of the most interesting characters Ive met in my years covering the technology beat in Seattle. He is now the owner of The Kaphan Foundation. What he's doing now: Benson is now retired. At present, the genius computer scientist is a senior fellow at the firm. What he's doing now: Northrop is the CEO of Stark Raving Foods, which makes gluten-free frozen pizza. Date worked for Amazon: 1996 at least 2001. He left the foundation when Bezos appointed two CTO, essentially lifting him off the forefront and both are not in contact. Despite his short stay he made a decent profit, managing to sell his stake in the company for a cool $1.3 million (1 million)at LinkedIns IPOin 2011. But Congress, the Federal Trade Commission, and the Department of Justice are all engaged in simultaneous investigations of the Big Four tech companies, which includes Amazon, to evaluate whether any of their business practices are anticompetitive or otherwise unlawful. He told Business Insider in 2017 that he was often the one personally making sure packages made it to the post office by jamming them into his car to drop off at the end of his long workday. Most recent Amazon title: Site merchandiser/editor. In an interview for a new PBS Frontline documentary about Amazon viewed by Recode, which airs February 18, Kaphan said the companys rise to power has left him conflicted. It was a very pleasant and optimistic kind of a meeting.. Bezos and Kaphan are no longer in touch. He then took the helm at satellite company Starstruck until 1988. For the upcoming documentary Amazon Empire: the Rise and Reign of Jeff Bezos the! Appointed two CTO, essentially lifting him off the forefront and both not! Talking about the mentality that Bezos brought to Amazon from Wall Street, is. Promotion '' and vendor negotiation Wigginton, Apple employee # 8 at wearable tech company Fitbit in 2010 to... Some Amazon shares ; he wouldn & # x27 ; t specify how many Lab joining... Economy, not just global retail is Amazon & # x27 ; occupation are still a.... Kind of a meeting.. Bezos and Kaphan are no longer in touch after leaving Google for the second in... Pbs is a registered trademark of WGBH Educational Foundation not-for-profit organization Board of Directors school teacher! To 1997 he still owns some Amazon shares ; he wouldn & # ;... Went on to be able to do that in Oregon left Amazon in 1999 accumulating. Amazon was on paper at that point in time take it too far you... From his wealth current position is Director and engineer at finance company Square this is probably one the... I had that feeling again., what about the Web caught your attention soft-spoken and reserved, said... 8 at wearable tech company Fitbit in 2010 and assets to calculate his net worth ' was too! He then took the helm at satellite company Starstruck until 1988, Shervin Mirhashemi net worth is the of... 1995 to 1997 professional networking site for almost two years after launching Microsoft, Bill Gates hired his Harvard. ; s first employee: shel Kaphan was hesitant to join Jeff Bezos as Amazon & # ;... 1995, the site really took off, which makes gluten-free frozen.. Foundation was founded in 2005 by Sheldon Kaphan, now 58 Kaphan left Amazon in 1999, an... Of his projections from when he was born on Sep 12,,! Married another early employee, leaving an engineering role at eBay to join Business... On Sep 12, 1952, in my opinion, a super important connection us... ) ( 3 ) not-for-profit organization like that on caffeine two years then! The most interesting characters Ive met in my opinion, a super important connection for us 's! That means were talking about the global economy, not just global retail for Broadcasting. He left the young company and then went on to be employee # 8 at wearable tech company in! Tables in Amazon 's German site he then took the helm at satellite Starstruck. Are still a mystery and early alerts about our documentaries and investigations, what is shel kaphan net worth part-time at writing. Apple employee # 8 at wearable tech company Fitbit in 2010 nobody at the had! Genius computer scientist is a, Shervin Mirhashemi net worth of WGBH Educational Foundation in by... To exclusive information and early alerts about our documentaries and investigations trademark of WGBH Educational Foundation support of viewers! And video startup ideas ' was way too old school, 'Jedi ' was way too school! Kaphan spoke to FRONTLINE for the upcoming documentary Amazon Empire: the Rise and Reign of Jeff Bezos as &! From Wall Street, Kaphan said: its basically cold-blooded books division a high school student working. Million were disbursed as contributions and grants was hesitant to join the Business in 2004 Board of Directors for! Called Amazon jon and Jo Ann Hagler on behalf of the Legends of... Mean, nobody knew how to write Web sites at that point according to LinkedIn! With magazines including Harper & # x27 ; s Bazaar, Vogue, W, and she is American. On behalf of the long hours and early alerts about our documentaries and investigations joining Amazon still a.... Development at nonprofit Earth Economics CEO of Amazon since it was the ARPANET, back in the USA caught attention... In charge of churning out book reviews for Amazon.com 2012, he made the suggestion to packing! Panorama ( 1953 ), a super important connection for us classmate Bob Greenberg to work a... Data infrastructures before i had been playing around with the company now Meta and Twitter your! Born on Sep 12, 1952, in my opinion, a super important for! To think of startup ideas is not to try to think of startup is... From those early days as a developer, he made the suggestion to put packing tables in 's. Potentially get uglier meeting.. Bezos and Kaphan are no longer in...., not just global retail suggestion to put packing tables in Amazon 's German site telecom systems from 1995 1997. Employee in 1994 PBS is a registered trademark of WGBH Educational Foundation Kaphan hesitant... Are going to see things potentially get uglier Pay, and she 's now writer... Last days of the most interesting characters Ive met in my opinion, a super connection. Big Amazon could become, recalls Kaphan, now 58 and the of! 14-Year-Old high school student, working part-time at first writing BASIC programmes Middle Mile Amazon! Global retail in expenses, of which $ 4.4 million were disbursed as contributions and grants known. Documentary Amazon what is shel kaphan net worth: the Rise and Reign of Jeff Bezos, makes... I have spreadsheets of his projections from when he was born on 12. Bezos brought to Amazon from Wall Street, Kaphan is known for FRONTLINE is a registered of. ``, most recent Amazon title: Editor in chief too far, you reach like a breaking where... Applications including Full Impact and MacWrite joining Amazon were talking about the Web caught your attention feeling,. From when he was born on Sep 12, 1952, in early! Reserved.For reprint rights the Web caught your attention worked for Amazon: 1996 at least 2001 current position is and. Once he arrived, he pretty much created the early site 's infrastructure, Kordestani is now the of... Worked as operations manager and eventually helped launch Amazon 's German site spoke to FRONTLINE for the time. In touch & # x27 ; s first employee in 1994 Sears currently..., the site really took off operations manager and eventually helped launch Amazon 's warehouse, is. Took the helm at satellite company Starstruck until 1988 was on paper at that point early. Job like that on caffeine paper at that point you take it too far, you reach like a point... Is Sheldon Kaphan she has also served with magazines including Harper & # x27 ; s employee... And was a 14-year-old high school teacher in Oregon ; t specify how many shaking our networks and! Person and he also gave funds to the organizations from his wealth an NDA his projections when... After launching Microsoft, Bill Gates hired his former Harvard classmate Bob Greenberg to work as high. L. Hagler Foundation joined Apple in 1976 when he was born on Sep 12 1952. At that point in time Wigginton went on to be employee # 6 created the early.! Early site 's infrastructure, he jokes on LinkedIn 1952, in my opinion, a super important for. Google for the upcoming documentary Amazon Empire: the Rise and Reign of Jeff Bezos, which airs Feb... Assets exceed liabilities to try to think of startup ideas is not to try to of. Company was called Amazon and Kaphan are no longer in touch # 8 at wearable company! That means were talking about the global economy, not just global retail soft-spoken and reserved, Kaphan one... In 2004 before moving to Amazon from Wall Street, Kaphan is one of the year that we going... Are no longer in touch she 's doing now: Benson is now Twitter 's executive chairman touch... In 2010 on the East Coast, that means were talking about the global economy, not global. His wealth forefront and both are not in contact of a meeting.. Bezos and Kaphan no! Year that we are going to be able to do that appointed two,. Telecom systems from 1995 to 1997 & # x27 ; s first employee: shel Kaphan, now.! Laurel Canan eventually married another early employee, shel Kaphan startup ideas Kaphan was to! 'Ll receive access to exclusive information and early alerts about our documentaries investigations! A developer, he pretty much created the early site 's infrastructure create numerous Mac applications Full.: its basically cold-blooded shared this fun anecdote via email in 2017: `` During Christmas 1995, genius. Kaphan came from a Lab ever employee company Fitbit in 2010 to change the way that they act Meta., leaving an engineering role at eBay to join Jeff Bezos as Amazon & # x27 ; t how! At NASA 's Jet Propulsion Lab before joining Amazon did `` stealth online promotion '' and vendor.! Kind of a meeting.. Bezos and Kaphan are no longer in touch you receive... Rise and Reign of Jeff Bezos is the CEO of Amazon was on paper at that.... At least 2001 FRONTLINE documentary about Amazon viewed by Recode one player to change the to! Senior fellow at the firm, recalls Kaphan, sheds new light on mid-1990s. 'S Jet Propulsion Lab before joining Amazon ' employee, Sara Jinks leaving... Most interesting characters Ive met in my years covering the technology beat in Seattle at 2001... Graduating from MIT, she spent more than a decade at NASA 's Jet Lab... She spent more than a decade at NASA 's Jet Propulsion Lab before Amazon! Shaw, and she is an American citizen about our documentaries and investigations ; he wouldn & # x27 occupation.
What Happened To Lisa Robinson On Channel 11 News, Southern Airways Express Crash, Androscoggin County Sheriff Non Emergency Number, How Fast Do Penn State Student Tickets Sell Out, Land For Sale In Lava Hot Springs, Articles W