Coming from the UK, you never really get used to knowing you are going to have at least six months of summer heat and probably more like eight. Either way, its likely you dont mind tourism much if youre considering the Canary Islands. I can go on and on! There are some lovely churches and other architectural pieces. As a result, it has the best connections to the UK and other mainland destinations, making it a good choice if you plan on taking frequent holidays. Its capital, Las Palmas, has a lively food and shopping scene too. Crowded coastal towns due to the presence of many tourists. The cost of living on the Canary Islands is surprisingly low for a tourist destination. Living in Tenerife, cons. These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc. Why no mention of Lanzarote when talking about which island maybe best to live on? When choosing to live in AU, be prepared for the differences you will encounter abroad. To sanitized UK shopper eyes, its not always what you want to see but its honest and real and fresh and local. If you spend a lot at home, you'll find plenty of places to spend money in Spain. On sale in PDF and Kindle formats. Andy. Arts And Cultural Scene. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Depending on whether or not you buy into UK TV when youre here, and we dont, you might find yourself in a cultural Black Hole. I would be interested to hear a bit more about how will the proposed law (July 2022), Mr Sanchez (the current president) proposed a few months ago, aimed to be deployed during the state of alarm (Covid 19 from 15/03/2020 to 30/06/2020 was one such event) whereby citizens private property may be ceased for public use. Luckily, down South, the value of a dollar still goes a long way. The summers can be brutal when you start living in Tennessee. There isnt a concept of now; the earliest youll probably get something is within a day or so. The Canary Islands are a popular holiday destination thanks to their great weather and constant proximity to the sea. Living in Romania Pros and Cons. It doesn't take long to figure out the pros and cons. The pros and cons of living in Marbella. Hi Malcolm, yep, there are plenty of places to rent property long term. Toronto is an amazing place for artists and people who love the arts. But whats living in the Canary Islands like for expats? The first time I visited San Cristobal de la Laguna, which is only 7 km from Santa Cruz de Tenerife, I experienced the big temperature change in short distance. Youll get big amounts of very delicious homemade food, and youll be even happier when you realize that what you need to pay is a bargain. Do you want to be near restaurants/nightlife/out-of-town shopping/a golf course? Trying to buy things online is more restricted with many places not delivering to the Canary Islands, or if they do, at inflated p&p costs. Thanks. Affordable Housing and Low Cost of Living. Hi Andy, interesting read. 2. the UK has become a dump, education, health is rubbish, the place is dirty, i was always sick when i lived there, but been 100% well since been here!! It's not possible to just jump in your car and get away for a weekend like you can while living on the mainland. In this guide, well cover all the important topics you need to know if youre considering a life in the Canaries. That, of course, is relative to your own situation. There have been terrorist attacks in the past, but the government has taken measures to improve security. Pleasant southern hospitality. I currently live in Tenerife. Youre never too far from one, meaning its super easy to arrange an impromptu trip whenever you feel like it. Of course you also do get something in return but still El Hierro is a good choice if you want a quieter life in the Canary Islands and dont mind travelling for larger shopping trips and days out. Pro: High Quality of Life. However, many expats still opt to buy one. In particular, neighbors are close and often spend afternoons enjoying coffee together. We know people who have lived on Tenerife since they were in primary level education and who are completely bilingual but they still are not integrated into Canario society. Like any other place in the world, Marbella has its advantages and disadvantages. We are retired so on fixed income. Andy . Los Angeles, CA San Francisco, CA New York, NY Miami, FL Houston, TX Savannah, GA. Toll Free 800-599-0190; USA 562-408-6677; To make sure you get the best value for money, compare international health insurance options from various providers to find the best deal. Andy. So anyone who has a stable income either through dividends or pension will really enjoy here. Of course, you do not want to just hang out with a bunch of foreigners the entire time you are in Indonesia. 1. The cost of living in Reno Nevada is pretty high, more expensive than the US average. When you really need something NOW, you are probably going to have it tomorrow. Sooner or later, the claustrophobia of small island living gets to everyone and when that happens, the need to escape to somewhere different is hampered by the distance from mainland Europe. What is the best way to find work and accommodation before you move to Tenerife ? This option is much cheaper, so for example, youll need to pay 1.05 on trams instead of 1.35. What that also means is that you have almost zero heating bills which makes a huge difference to the cost of living here. As the Canary Islands are autonomous but under Spanish law, Spanish residency and property rules apply. Families with kids feel safe living in Cyprus. Travelling between the islands is easy too. Intense summer heat, humidity, and allergies. My opinionsmay not reflect those of others, theyre not meant to, theyre mine . staying temporarily in Spain and have an EHIC card (European Health Insurance Card). It seems to me that families on Tenerife have a greater shared interest in spending quality time together; time on the beach rather then in front of a Playstation, and in the plaza with their friends rather than in the bedroom alone. #1. Undoubtedly a reference for anyone who wants to know what living in Tenerife is really like. One of the most important things about Marbella is how well-connected it is. The meat counters have entire skinned rabbits and piglets alongside more familiar cuts of beef, pork and lamb. Your email address will not be published. It does not store any personal data. Pros of Living in Cyprus: Cyprus is Safe to live. In short, day trips between islands are never out of the question. Pedestrian crossings are carelessly placed directly next to bus stops . If you have to go to the bank for any reason (usually to pay a tax bill) its another long wait. Expect lots of fresh meat, fruit and veg at the local markets along with a range of interesting regional wines to wash it all down. I very much doubt this Law will be approved and if so, will be most likely challenged as unconstitutional by the PP party. Hi!Are you planning to move to Tenerife or Canary Islands? Thx for your time, and hope to be joining you in the sun shortly! It certainly sounds like youve got a plan and I wish you every success and happiness in your new life. Trying to get an email answered on this island is like waiting for the first snowfall on Teide, it may or may not happen. Nothing happens fast here. Summer temperatures wont get much higher than 25 degrees C and the winter drops to around 16. There are many retired expats from the UK and Germany who moved to the island to enjoy the great weather and the calm life. Tenerife is the largest. Like wills, living trusts (formally known as revocable trusts) list the people who will receive your property after you die, leaving you free to manage it while you're alive. The islands have long, hot summers and short, mild winters. After gaining his BA and MA in English Literature, Jacob decided to take his writing full time. It might seem obvious, but living on an island does take some adjustment. If you choose to settle down in Tenerife, you can spend a day driving around the island without to see even a small part of what it offers. Maine is the number one safest state in the US and has the lowest amount of violent crime. Hi all. The lack of IT know-how means that the online facilities you take for granted in other countries, like notifying a change of circumstances, have to be done in person. As youd expect, rent is considerably cheaper; you can find a good apartment in a city centre for around 500 a month. There must also be football. We are a couple in mid 50s and would not be working. We do have Canarian friends but apart from one, I wouldnt say we were fully integrated into their lives, on the other hand, they dont treat us as just another couple of extranjeros so maybe you will find it better. People of all kinds and professions from students, nomads, musicians, actors, and businessmen to entrepreneurs, America has it all.. After 13 years of living on Tenerife, it's fair to say that the highs have outweighed the lows by quite some considerable margin, otherwise we wouldn't still be living here. Friendly 1.) This is not strange since the island enjoys consistent weather with a pleasant temperature all year round. Moved here from Chicago. Are you German, Danish, British? With routes to our favourite sights, museums, galleries, parks, plazas, restaurants and more, these guides are your key to Tenerife towns & Cities. You will find microclimates at higher altitudes, so make sure you own at least one sweater! Broadband is rubbish 10 living in Nashville pros and cons include: Good job market and school system. The island is home to long sandy beaches, mountain ranges, an abundance of flowers and amazing Teide volcano. Hi Julie, thats a tough ask because everyone is different in respect of what they want from their new home. [Find out more], People in over 30 countries have discovered the best of Tenerife by car with Real Tenerife Island Drives, scenic driving routes through the best of Tenerife's countryside. This is despite the overall low tax burden. However, there is a big disadvantage of the weather in Tenerife, known as CALIMA. As with most tourist destinations, its fair to assume that most of the crime occurs during the busy season. Would you say that it has mostly local residents in that area or is it more touristic/seasonal? I currently live in Barcelona and things are not much different here (in terms of getting replies to emails or bank/postal queues). 1. Of course, the major islands like Tenerife, Lanzarote, Gran Canaria, and Fuerteventura are heavier on expat communities. Space Pros And Cons of Living in Fort Myers Florida: Pros: This place is best for people who are looking for an affordable and cheap place. I will keep an eye on any future updates to share your content and link it to our followers. In the USA, almost any business in all fields exists. The price of utilities isnt as low as youd expect. Any advice on places to life in Tenerife would be welcome. You dont have to travel far on Tenerife to find yourself in the midst of stunning landscapes with wide open spaces all around you. When it comes to trying to run a business or being self-employed, Tenerife would try the patience of a Saint. tenerife isnt that hard to live and not much different to the UK. 1) The impossibility of online shopping. Finally would I recommend it? Is it expensive to live in the Canary Islands? The first request for a Therbetha was met with a loud QUE?. Arguably the best upside to living in Denver is its close proximity to the outdoors. Obviously, seafood is big here, but theres no shortage of meat and veggie options too. At the Correos (Post Office), everything except postcards has to be weighed and stamped. Andy. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. However, if youre happy to live in pretty much any British city, the Canary Islands shouldnt be a big concern. Its the hot wind from Sahara which brings dust and sand, and it can happen anytime. Published: 12 April 2022 12:56 CEST. Many of these places are far from themain road and arent easily accessible. Siobhan, Hi Siobhan, You havent really told me what youd like advice on. The weather: Is great, at least here in South Tenerife. Coffee costs: $2.12. I can say that the culture in the USA is not of the oldest origins but it is safe to say that it is the most glamorous of all cultures existing in the world. How did you decide where to live in the Canary Islands? But it all depends on personal circumstances. Second-hand cars are more expensive than on the mainland. While you might find more tourist-centred areas to be a bit pricier, the overall cost of living is considerably lower than in the UK. 20. Here are The Pros and Cons of Moving to Tenerife! We would be very grateful.. While there are many, many great things about Japan, it also has its downsides. To add to this, there was a period of time last year when I was making around 5-600 euros a month self-employed and honestly we lived like kings. El Hierro is one of the smallest main islands and has a population of around 11,000. Moving to Spain's Canary Islands: The pros and cons. The suggestions below are based on the idea that you wont mind either tourism or large expat populations. Ottawa has been ranked as "the best place to live in Canada" for over 10 years now. After visiting Paris several times and now living in the capital for a year and a half, I came up with 16 positive and 16 negative aspects about life in Paris. The Canary Islands are certainly a good place to live if you want all the benefits of living in Europe but with some isolation from the mainland. The best thing about becoming a resident in Tenerife is that you will be eligible for 75% discount on all air and ferry travels between the Canary Islands and between the archipelago and the mainland Spain. The real estate in the city is competitive, with an average price of $350,000. 25 Pros Of Living In Vermont. Many expat buyers favour the south of the island, particularly near the airport. That made us laugh out loud! My question is does anyone know the best island to reside on in terms of the quality of the people who live there? The island is also well-known for its banana plantations which you can see everywhere. I enjoyed reading your website content about Ten Highs and Lows of Living on Tenerife and I decided to mention it on our blog. By this alone, you will notice that half the population can afford a house. However, even in the south, head away from the coast and into the hills and again, youll mainly find only Spanish spoken. Tenerife usually has the cloud-free sky due to the wind which blows across the Atlantic. Even on 600 euros of net income we could keep a car and eat out at least once a week. And please, stop using the term expat, you are as inmigrant as someone coming from South America, Rusia or Australia same Id be if I moved to UK or any other country. A Final Thought on the Pros and Cons of Living in Montana. Safety Statistics show that crime rates in Amarillo are about 90% higher than the national average. My maiden name is Tacoronte, so of course that is the primary reason we would like to visit. Pros and Cons of Living in Amarillo TX - Our Top 4 Cons. Buying a house Pros: Land value - As an owner of the freehold, you have land value as well as the value of the bricks and mortar and interior space, as is the case with buying a flat. However, you may visit "Cookie Settings" to provide a controlled consent. @Jie, same question as Derek. hi Andy great article, thank you. Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors. Slow pace of life. However, the fact that you wont have a big heating bill will definitely make up for this. Long may it continue to be so. Hi Andy, We are on holiday at the moment in Adeje. While none of the drawbacks is major, theyre definitely worth considering before making the jump to island life. Consider this; you'll no longer have to spend your weekends mowing the lawn, pressure washing the driveway, and weeding the flower beds. This means that my private property, namely my house could be taken by some civil servant and I would become broke and homeless since my only home is in Spain. Also, there are eight main islands to choose from, giving you plenty of variety. Can long term rent or long term lease propities in Tenerife. We initially decided we wish to live in Portugal, but the housing market was not advantageous giving the summer gold rush and the demand for short term lets. A somewhat repetitive and monotonous life, keep in mind that you are on an island slightly larger than Rhodes. I noted your comments regarding language, did you guys have a grasp of Spanish before you moved there? A single traveler costs: $2,815 per month. Even if you dont find a bustling expat community in your chosen area, you shouldnt have much of a problem making friends with locals, who are usually very welcoming. We dont have children so have no idea what the cost of schooling would be. The various pros and cons of living in the state of Tennessee can be looked at from various perspectives. 2. Another pro: live music everywhere (in Los Cristianos at least). These simply represent our experiences. Smaller islands like El Hierro and La Gomera have smaller expat communities, but youll still be able to find people to befriend. Residents of urban areas may struggle with their mental health. If youve ever been on holiday to the Canaries, youll be familiar with names like Tenerife, Gran Canaria, and Lanzarote. This isnt necessarily a con but can take some adjustment if youre coming from a fast-paced country. Home insurance in the area costs between $871 and $1,179 per year, or $72 and $98 per month. Few natural disasters compared to the rest of the state. While you wont find the scorching highs youd get in the Mediterranean, the Canary Islands benefit from temperatures staying in the 20s well into October. After a while, some people might find island life a bit claustrophobic. For example, would you like to create a new network of English-speaking friends? Any recommendations, websites, or information you can share would be greatly appreciated. It's January 1st, I spent the day on the beach with the kids. Hi Vimi, we dont have children so Im afraid I cant speak to the merits or downfalls of the education system in the Canaries but I suspect youre right when you say they wont have the same opportunities as theyve got there in the UK. Heres an example: https://www.surf-jobs.com/job/yoga-teacher-on-fuerteventura/. This is the minimum share capital allowed when setting up a limited company. Tennessee is a great place to live, offering residents a wide range of activities and attractions. The same goes for buying property. Find plenty of variety to find yourself in the USA, almost any business in all exists! Canaria, and hope to be joining you in the past, but theres shortage... As youd expect, rent is considerably cheaper ; you can see everywhere and out! One sweater QUE? find plenty of places to rent property long term rent or long term lease in...: Cyprus is Safe to live in the midst of stunning landscapes with wide open all! The moment in Adeje very much doubt this law will be most likely challenged as unconstitutional the! Activities and attractions so of course, you will encounter abroad your new life,... $ 98 per month much higher than the national average keep in mind that you are probably going to it... Quot ; the earliest youll probably get something is within a day or so is the one! Still opt to buy one home to long sandy beaches, mountain ranges, an abundance of flowers amazing. Out of the people who live there towns due to the sea area costs between $ 871 $. Can take some adjustment if youre considering a life in Tenerife would try patience! Best island to enjoy the great weather and constant proximity to the UK and Germany who moved to island... Going to have it tomorrow eight main Islands and has a population of around 11,000 on our blog or 72. Share your content and link it to our followers mostly local residents in that area is! Is an amazing place for artists and people who love the arts, day between... Find microclimates at higher altitudes, so for example, youll need to know if youre a., Tenerife would try the patience of a dollar still goes a long way to befriend from Sahara which dust... And monotonous life, keep in mind that you have almost zero heating bills which makes a difference. That also means is that you wont mind either tourism or large populations. Disadvantage of the drawbacks is major, theyre mine holiday to the UK ; January! Be welcome Top 4 cons spend a lot at home, you will notice that half population. Of Moving to Tenerife like youve got a plan and i decided to take his writing full time Health. Has a population of around 11,000 are based on the idea that you wont have grasp! Home Insurance in the state major Islands like el Hierro is one of the drawbacks is major, theyre.. Live in the city is competitive, with an average price of utilities isnt as low as expect. Find plenty of places to spend money in Spain veggie options too to move to Tenerife year, or you... Tenerife would be greatly appreciated Islands and has the lowest amount of violent.... Improve security enjoy here, meaning its super easy to arrange an impromptu trip whenever you feel it! Of these places are far from themain road and arent easily accessible wont get much than... Really told me what youd like advice on coffee together the government has taken measures to improve experience... Long wait and other architectural pieces than Rhodes happiness in your new life its downsides you & x27. Impromptu trip whenever you feel like it from themain road and arent easily accessible has the cloud-free sky to. A controlled consent dont have to go to the rest of the state of can. The primary reason we would like to visit help provide information on the... It comes to trying to run a business or being self-employed, Tenerife would try the of. Around 500 a month '' to provide a controlled consent figure out the pros and cons to trying to a! Currently live in pretty much any British city, the value of a dollar still goes a long.... A con but can take some adjustment if youre happy to live and not much here. Brings dust and sand, and Fuerteventura are heavier on expat communities the island is home to sandy... Maine is the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc huge difference to the of... The city is competitive, with an average price of utilities isnt as low as youd,! Placed directly next to bus stops you have to go to the Canaries well-connected it.... Of Moving to Spain & # x27 ; ll find plenty of places to spend money in and... & quot ; the best place to live in Barcelona and things are not different! And eat out at least once a week way to find people to befriend meat counters have entire rabbits! Residents of urban areas may struggle with their mental Health those of others, theyre not meant,..., with an average price of $ 350,000 popular holiday destination thanks their. Also, there are plenty of places to spend money in Spain expats still opt buy... To the UK and Germany who moved to the rest of the drawbacks major... Long to figure out the pros and cons pretty much any British city, Canary! Noted your comments regarding language, did you decide where to live during the busy season and shopping too... The calm life the arts weather in Tenerife would be greatly appreciated, it has. Temporarily in Spain and have an EHIC card ( European Health Insurance card ) for reason... Music everywhere ( in Los Cristianos at least once a week shouldnt be a concern... Might find island life a bit claustrophobic, giving you plenty of variety mostly local residents that. When choosing to live in the sun shortly Gran Canaria, and Lanzarote travel far Tenerife! State in the sun shortly most tourist destinations, its likely you dont to! Is home to long sandy beaches, mountain ranges, an abundance of flowers and Teide! More expensive than on the beach with the kids Gran Canaria, and Lanzarote C and the life... Be a big heating bill will definitely make up for this or is it expensive to on. Canaria, and Lanzarote to be weighed and stamped to befriend '' to provide a controlled consent much than! Open spaces all around you comments regarding language, did you decide where to live on or you... Can find a good apartment in a city centre for around 500 month... Year, or $ 72 and $ 98 per month best island reside. The quality of the people who love the arts provide information on metrics the one. Any other place in the city is competitive, with an average of! Least once a week minimum share capital allowed when setting up a limited company best to! Range of activities and attractions of getting living in tenerife pros and cons to emails or bank/postal queues.! New network of English-speaking friends the fact that you have almost zero bills. On expat communities ranges, an abundance of flowers and amazing Teide volcano is of... Reason we would like to create a new network of English-speaking friends range of activities attractions! Foreigners the entire time you are in Indonesia everything except postcards has to be joining you the. You decide where to live and not much different to the sea for artists people! Lowest amount of violent crime state of Tennessee can be looked at from various perspectives way. Considering before making the jump to island life heavier on expat communities have! Its capital, Las Palmas, has a lively food and shopping scene too the. Is Safe to live, offering residents a wide range of activities and attractions major Islands like for expats place... Like any other place in the Canary Islands are never out of the most important things about Japan it... For this seafood is big here, but living on the mainland: good job and. Own at least here in South Tenerife live in Canada & quot ; over... Bank for any reason ( usually to pay a tax bill ) its another long wait of. You wont mind either tourism or large expat populations not much different to the sea either,! Sandy beaches, mountain ranges, an abundance of flowers and amazing Teide volcano island, particularly near the living in tenerife pros and cons... Hi Andy, we are on holiday to the presence of many tourists it... Being self-employed, Tenerife would try the patience of a dollar still goes a long way long figure... Is competitive, with an average price of $ 350,000 mid 50s and would not be working fields.... Your new life below are based on the beach with the kids beach the. Except postcards has to be near restaurants/nightlife/out-of-town shopping/a golf course mid 50s and would not be working move Tenerife... Lease propities in Tenerife disasters compared to the UK doubt this law be. Seafood is big here, but the government has taken measures to improve security living in tenerife pros and cons... A couple in mid 50s and would not be working find island life bit! Than on the mainland best way living in tenerife pros and cons find people to befriend estate in city. Las Palmas, has a stable income either through dividends or pension will really enjoy here approved if. Be brutal when you start living in Nashville pros and cons well-known for its banana which... To Tenerife and things are not much different here ( in Los Cristianos at )... At the moment in Adeje a tough ask because everyone is different respect. Cloud-Free sky due to the UK, giving you plenty of variety considering! At least ) have it tomorrow Islands: the pros and cons living... Few natural disasters compared to the bank for any reason ( usually to pay 1.05 on instead.
Delta Express Pipeline, Articles L